Sunday, May 6, 2012

'Tis the Season!

No, I'm not referring to the Christmas season. Rather, I'm referring to yard sale season! Matt and I love finding great deals at local yard sales. We usually spend several early Saturday mornings out and about searching for that one deal that will make us feel as though we hit the jackpot. Yes, it really is a natural high for us. Over the years we have hit some serious deals. For instance, our like-new, 2 year old Weber Genesis grill. Yard sale. Like-new snow-blower. Yard Sale. Like-new Baby Bjorn carrier. Yard sale. ($5.00, I might add!! Retail - $80) Recessed lights for finishing our basement. Yard sale. The list could seriously go on and on. We have had great success. You never know what you might find.

Last weekend was our development's annual spring yard sale. Over 50 houses participated and the turnout is always amazing. Seriously, this place was hopping. Of course we set some stuff out that we were hoping to get rid of, and we made a significant amount of extra spending saving money. (Insert Matt's reminder here: "We are living on one salary right now, dear.") Even better than making money though is simply getting rid of the stuff that has been taking up room in our basement and closets. Two birds, one stone.

The night before the sale was a preview night for residents only. Matt hit his type of jackpot and paid a measly $20 for a trunk full of tools to add to his neverending collection. Go Matt. So while Matt manned our garage for most of the following morning, I set out in search of some great deals for myself throughout our neighborhood. And by finding a deal for myself, I really mean finding a deal for Mason. If you were looking for baby stuff, this was the place to be. I could have gone crazy with toys and baby gear, etc, but I limited myself. (Insert Matt's reminder again) I got some baby gates, a few toys, a jumparoo (thanks, Amanda!), a few pieces of clothing for Mason & cousin Benny, and some super cute shoes that I simply could not resist. It's true. I have become a sucker for baby boy shoes. Who would have ever thought? Seriously, how cute are these?




The sandals and plaid Tommy Hilfiger shoes were both $2 each, the Crocs (for Ben, and next year for Mason hopefully!) were $1, and the adorable, brand-spanking new, in the box Polo Ralph Lauren slip ons were a whopping $3. Yes, they were my splurge item. In my opinion, money well spent - even for living on one salary.

1 comment:

  1. I love your yard-saling adventures! I am thinking about having a yard sale at our house this year!

    ReplyDelete