The Hershey area suffered severe and very sudden flash flooding on Wednesday, September 7th. While at school, we received word that we would be dismissing early at 1:30 pm due to worsening road conditions. Music to a teacher's ears! At 1:30 we had the kids packed up and ready for dismissal. At exactly that time, our principal walked down our hallway to inform us that the police department had contacted the school and had given directions NOT to dismiss the students at that time. They feared the flooding had become too severe and many roads were completely under water. So instead of an early dismissal, we were suddenly in a lockdown situation. What to do? Throw a movie in the DVD player and wait it out. The kids were calm basically because they had no idea how serious the conditions truly were outside. From our classroom windows, it appeared to just be a downpour. I stepped out into the hall to call Matt about our change in plans because he had been dismissed at 12:30 for the same reason. As soon as he answered he yelled into the phone, "Do not leave the school. Don't even try to drive right now." I explained that I would be at the school longer than expected. Matt, after an hour of driving (normally a 25 minute commute) had discovered that every route leading to Palmyra was under water. He had turned around so many times that eventually he realized he needed to get off the roads. He drove to a high point in Hummelstown and pulled into the parking lot of the Hilton. From there, he overlooked Hersheypark Drive and watched the flood waters quickly consume the Pizza Hut and Wendy's sitting below him. After crashing in the hotel lobby for 2 hours, he made a quick exit when the rain finally ceased. It was either leave now or plan to stay the night at the hotel. Matt made it finally made it home at 7:30 that evening.
Here is the flooding that Matt intensely watched from the Hilton, wondering if he would make it home that night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9a8pMLV63M&feature=player_detailpage
Back at school, our regular dismissal time came and went. We soon caught word that the cafeteria was opening to prepare dinner for students and staff. Our instincts told us that we would be spending the night at school. With the students. After eating our dinners in the classroom, parents soon began arriving to pick up their children. Some parents later told me it took them 3 hours to get to the school from their homes. By 8:00 pm all students had been picked up and I finally made it home. Luckily the roads to Palmyra had cleared up enough that I could safely get home. I pulled in to the garage and Matt greeted me at the door with, "I didn't think I was going to see you tonight." It was a long and exhausting day for all of us -- especially the 31 week pregnant woman. What a good feeling to be
home.
So, what does all this have to do with the nursery? The following two days of school (four days for Matt's district) were cancelled beause of the continued flooding and damaged roads. Hello, nursery projects. We decided to make the most of those days and worked in the basement and the nursery. We were able to complete several items on our to do list and we're pleased with the progress. We have one more major project - fabric book slings - and then I'll be satisfied. From there, it will just be a few odds and ends. It's finally coming together!

Todd!!! I am so happy you two were ok!! I had no idea you had to stay at school that long and didn't realize how bad the roads were near your house! A lot of roads leading to our house were closed- but I don't think we were as bad as you guys. Thank god everyone is ok!
ReplyDelete