Mason's two month check up was last Thursday. I had been looking forward to this appointment for weeks because I was so curious to know exactly how much he had grown from his birth weight and height. Matt and I had talked the night before the appointment and made guesses at his weight. I was thinking the high 10s and Matt had guessed mid-11s. You can imagine my surprise when the nurse read his weight to us -- 12 pounds 5 ounces! I knew Mason was a fantastic eater, but I had no idea he had gained that much weight from his original 7 pounds 15 ounces. Wow. She reassured us that he's in the 50%ile for weight, which suddenly made it seem normal and not completely freakishly heavy. Phew. His height measured 24 inches, which the nurse did confirm was rather tall for his age -- 83%ile. I think we all knew that was coming!
Mason was so content and pleasant during the check up. He was lying naked on the table for quite some time while the doctor gave a thorough exam. Good news - he didn't even squirt anyone this time like he had at all of his previous appointments. He cooed and "talked" to us nearly the entire time. Morning tends to be his most vocal time of the day, and the appointment was no different. The doctor and nurse were both so impressed with him and gave many compliments. That's my boy.
All was well... until it was time for the shots. Two nurses came in to administer the 4 different shots. They decided they would do them together so it would be once and done. I held my baby boy nice and tight to comfort him and hold him still. He had no idea what was about to come his way. Together we sat on the table as the nurse said, "Be ready -- he is going to scream like he's never screamed before." She was right. The screaming lasted about 30 seconds and Mason and I both had tears. He calmed down rather quickly and life was good again. I'm not sure who it's more traumatic for -- baby or mom. And now we look forward to the next round of shots at his 4 month check up. Oh goodie.
And here's my sweet boy. Look at those eyes!
They claim he's in the 50%ile for weight. I don't know... check out this muffin top! I love every ounce of that belly!
Aw. He sounds about the same as Ike was at that age! And is it bad that I laughed at Ike's first round of shots?! I think I was so nervous that I didn't know what to do. Mason has such a sweet little face. I see both you and Matt very clearly in him!
ReplyDelete