Saturday, January 7, 2012

You Collect Baby Shoes?

I spoke these words almost 6 years ago when Matt and I began dating. When I learned that he had a baby shoe collection, I'll admit that I thought it was strange. Ok, very strange. And then he clarified for me. It's not just any baby shoes, it's Nikes, Jordans, and his other favorite labels. Ok, stranger yet. The good news was that he didn't actually spend the ridiculous retail price on any of these. Instead, he has accumulated them mostly from yard sales. Still, I definitely thought it was weird, but now I have an appreciation for his collection -- and so does Mason. Here are a few of the shoes that were showcased at my baby shower as decorations. And yes, my mom dressed up my favorite childhood doll, Jessica, as a Chicago Bull. Notice the shoes -- you'll see them again..






Now, instead of decorations, we are just starting to use the smallest shoes od the collection. This morning I dressed Mason while Matt was at his Saturday practice. As a total afterthought, I decided to search through the shoe bin to find the smallest pairs. I settled on this pair of LeBron James Nikes. I put them on over Mason's argyle socks (too much of a hassle to change the socks -- I know, serious faux pas). Voila! They fit! Mason's first shoes.






What would have happened if we'd had a baby girl, you ask? I asked the same thing. "She'll have the coolest sneaker collection of all her friends." That's right, nothing would have been different according to Matt. I'm glad it was a boy. I would've had a hard time finding cute outfits to match these shoes for a little girl.

2 comments:

  1. So glad those shoes are being put to good use! Mason is turning out to be quite the looker! So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun!! I always enjoy reading your stories. :) Hope you are well. You sound like you are adjusting wonderfully! - Allison

    ReplyDelete