Friday, January 27, 2012

How Do I Live Without You?

I'm sure LeAnn Rimes would be thrilled to know that I'm stealing her lyrics for a blog title that refers to my must-have baby items. About a year ago, my college friend Erin posted her New Mom Must-Haves on her blog Domestic Adventure. Obviously that was during a time when I had yet to begin thinking about those items. Now that I have been a mom for 10 weeks, I figured I would offer my top five items that I seriously could not live without right now.

1. Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair: This is one of the few places that Mason will actually sit for a length of time. I know what you're thinking. Why does Mason need a high chair at 10 weeks old? That's the beauty of this product. The seat reclines so that an infant can sit in it before they are able to sit up on their own. Obviously I don't use the tray yet because Mason doesn't eat real food yet. I love that this seat has several different reclining positions so that it will grow with him. I also appreciate that it sits on our regular kitchen table chairs and doesn't take up a ton of floor space like most regular high chairs. Hence, space saver. Love it.




2. Soothie Pacifier: Mason basically slept through our stay in the hospital when he was born. He rarely made a peep, and thus, never used a pacifier. I remember it was sitting in his bassinet, but to my knowledge, we never used it. We brought it home from the hospital with us (because Matt insisted on taking everything, and I mean everything, from the room that would fit in our bags - let's just say if you ever need disposable underwear or ice packs for the southern region, we have plenty to spare). Of course when we brought Mason home with us, he had his fussy moments. My mom purchased every pacifier imaginable to try to find one that Mason would take. No luck. We dug out the one from the hospital bag and tried one last effort to find one that he liked. Success! Finally! To this day, it is the only pacifier he takes so we bought 2 more packs of them at our local Walmart. We keep one upstairs, downstairs, in the carseat, and in the diaper bag. Basically we don't leave home without it!



3. Little Remedies: This is my favorite brand of "medicine" for my little guy. When Mason was two weeks old, he got a stuffy nose that made him sound more like a piglet than a newborn baby. The doctor recommended saline drops. We bought Little Noses saline drops at the suggestion of a family friend. It definitely does the trick. Coupled with the nose aspirator, this gets out any loose junk that might be causing difficulty for the little one. A few weeks later, we suspected that Mason was experiencing some gas pain. We again went to the pharmacy and found that the same brand makes Little Tummies. Another Godsend. The berry flavor alone calms Mason down and seems to stop the crying within minutes. Again, we bought two of them and never leave home without it. I like Little Remedies because everything is safe for infants, natural, and can be used as often as needed. I also discovered they make Little Fevers - we haven't needed that yet, but I'm sure we will some day. You'll notice in the photo that we use Little Noses so often that I lost the lid.



4. Fisher Price Rock and Play Sleeper: This is truly the only place where Mason sleeps. We keep it next to our bed so it's easy for me to throw my arm out and rock Mason back to sleep to buy me a few extra minutes before I have to drag myself out of bed. It's lightweight enough that I carry it into the bathroom so I can keep an eye on Mason while I'm getting ready in the morning. During the day, I carry it downstairs to have a napping place for when he falls asleep in my arms. We've also taken it in the car because it folds easily and is less hassle than the pack and play.


5. Gilligan & O'Malley Nursing Tanks: These are a must for nursing moms. I seriously live in these. They are super comfy and so convenient when you're nursing a baby throughout the day. They are good for layering under regular clothes or wearing to bed. I have a collection of them in various colors and have been tempted to go get a few more from Target just so I don't have to do laundry as frequently. They are my new staple item for my wardrobe. Funny how things change. (photo from Target.com)

Gilligan & OMalley® Womens Side Sling Nursing Tank - Grey XXL.Opens in a new window


So that's it,folks. My top five must-have items for new moms. I'm sure I could think of more, but these are truly my top picks for this stage of parenthood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment